The Physiotherapy Team will work with Families and the Education Team to develop a suitable physical management plan for the pupils.
This will involve:
- Discussion with families about concerns over a pupil’s physical development.
- Assessing what the pupil can do and what his or her physical needs are.
- Establishing long term goals for the pupil and how to break them down into short term achievable targets.
- Joint working with other Therapies and Education to establish joint goals and a holistic approach to the pupil’s needs.
- Working on individual activities with the pupils as a part of their overall physical management.
- Producing an initial assessment on new pupils and then subsequent yearly reports on his or her progress at school.
- Advising Families on continuing physical management at home through home visits as required.
- Attending any other appointments as and when you request support.
- Liaising with other professionals and outside agencies that are involved with you and your child.
- Designing of physical management programmes (PE, Hydrotherapy, Rebound Therapy and postural management) that can be easily integrated into the school routine.
- Assessment for and review of postural management equipment at school and home (seating systems, standing frames, sleep systems and lying boards etc.).
What is required of you:
- Keep in touch with the Physiotherapist and inform the team of any changes or concerns.
- To attend joint clinics held at the school – Orthotics, Wheelchair Clinic, Equipment Assessments and Annual Physiotherapy Review Clinic.
- Inform the Physiotherapist in advance of any appointments you would like support with.
Aims of Physiotherapy:
- Maximise the pupil’s functional abilities.
- Minimise the risk of contractures and deformities.
- Postural management.
- Improve activities of daily living.
- Improve ability to communicate.
Lucy Harris – Senior Paediatric Physiotherapist (trained in Bobath)
Anita Sam William – Paediatric Physiotherapist
Charlotte Williams – Hydrotherapy/Therapy Assistant