Dear Rutherford/Saturday Club Parents and Carers,
On Wednesday 27th November between 9.30am-11.30am we are pleased to welcome Trisha Holmes (SEN reform project Manager) to visit Rutherford, where she will be holding an open meeting specifically for our parents/carers to have involvement in some very important changes which will affect us;
The Government has realised that many children with special needs and disabilities and their parents are struggling to find the help they need. One of the things parents told the Government was that they didn’t know where to find reliable information about services in their area. This situation will be changing from September 2014 when all councils, including Croydon, will need to publish a Local Offer of services for children and young people with SEND. The Local Offer needs to be easy to find and use and should include:
- Information, advice and support on education (e.g. school places), health (e.g. therapies) and social care.
- How the needs of children and young people with SEND are identified.
- Information on leisure activities such as sports, short breaks, youth services etc.
- Training opportunities – including apprenticeships.
- Travel arrangements to and from schools, colleges and early years services.
- Support for moving from early years through school to college and preparing for adulthood.
Our experience and knowledge will be vital in helping us to make sure that Croydon’s Local Offer is helpful and easy to use and that it includes the information you need. They want to know if services are suitable and whether they have missed anything that we feel is important.
Therefore, we hope you are able to come along to our group so we can make sure families with children who have PMLD are able to contribute. Please call the school office to confirm your attendance, even if you are only able to attend for a short time your feedback will be welcomed.
If you cannot attend there is a series of focus groups being held around the borough, please see details below.
CALAT Centre, 61, Central Parade, New Addington, CRO OJD
- Monday 18 November 10 – 12 noon Local Offer.
CALAT Centre,, 41 Malcolm Road, Coulsdon, CR5 2DB
- Tuesday 12 November 10 – 12 noon Local Offer
- Friday 22 November 10 – 12 noon Moving from Early Years to school
- Tuesday 26 November 7 – 9pm Local Offer
Cornerstone House, 14 Willis Road, Croydon, CR0 2XX
- Thursday 14 November 7 – 9pm Local Offer
- Tuesday 19 November 10 – 12 noon Preparing for adulthood
- Wednesday 20 November 7 – 9pm Moving from Early Years to school
- Thursday 21 November 10 – 12 noon Challenging behaviour
- Thursday 28 November 10 – 12 noon Local Offer
- Thursday 28 November 7 – 9pm Local Offer
Booking Details: Please email: SENreform@croydon.gov.uk / Tel: 0208 726 6000 ext. 62281 or just turn up!
Jackie Sanders Parent Trustee/Governor