Rutherford School is part of the Garwood Foundation.
On 8th February 1952 the first independent group to provide treatment and nursery education for young people with Cerebral Palsy was formed during the inaugural meeting of the Croydon branch of the Spastics Society. The Old Vicarage at 27 Bramley Hill was rented and became the first specialist day nursery and clinic for children with Cerebral Palsy in the country.
1961 – ‘Rutherford’, a large house in Melville Avenue, South Croydon, was purchased by the society and became the Children’s Centre. It provided nursery and school education, a clinic and special classes.
1985 – Rutherford School was registered as a Special Needs School under the 1981 Education Act.
1989 – The Hydrotherapy pool at Rutherford was completed and used by children and adults attending Bramley Hill.
On the 23rd January 2008 a new purpose built annex at Rutherford School was opened by HRH Princess Anne. Adaptations and new technology were installed throughout the school, taking the Rutherford School into the 21st Century.